Friday, November 30, 2012

Burlap Garland Tutorial



I saw burlap garland on Pinterest a few weeks ago and decided to try and figure out how to make it.  It's really very easy and adds so much to my natural Christmas Tree.  I'll be making many more for my mantle and stair banisters!  Here's how I did it.


You only need jute ribbon (I get mine from Michael's), 22 gauge florist wire, buttons and scissors. I use the buttons at the ends to adjust how full I want the garland to be.  If you want it fuller or for a smaller space you can untwist the wire from the buttons and slide them in towards the middle of the garland more and re-twist the wire around the button again. 


Unwrap the jute ribbon of all it's packaging. Don't pre-cut the wire.  I just slide one of the buttons on and pull out about one to one and a half feet of wire through the button.  You will keep pulling the wire through the button until you finish the garland. I then push the wire through about an inch and a half of jute ribbon starting at the beginning of the jute ribbon roll.  





You can see how I thread the wire through the jute ribbon.  Just continue doing this until you get to the end of the roll.  You can add more than one roll of jute ribbon to each garland, but the wire can become kinked as you go and it gets harder to work with.  I used one roll of jute ribbon per garland and pieced them together in my tree. 




When you get to the end of your ribbon thread the wire through another button through 2 holes so you can twist it and lock it as the end. See above. Adjust the garland to the length and fullness you desire and then cut the wire between the first button and the wire roll and tread the wire through the second hole of the first button and twist as you did the other button.


There you go!  I hope my directions were easy to understand.  Hope you have luck with it and will use it to decorate your home for Christmas. 




16 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Will definitely be using it for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like this! Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love burlap...awesome and easy! Just like gathering when sewing.lol I will try it myself except get some red burlap ribbon. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The red would be beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Mary Lyn, where would we find the red burlap. Please email at yolievegas@aol.com

      Delete
  4. What size of burlap did you use? Love this idea!! Its so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many rolls of burlap did you use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this and I can't get it to keep from sliding down the floral wire. I'm using it on my railing on the balcony and stairs, swooping it about three times, but it just slides to the middle of each swoop, what do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try putting kinks in the wire at regular intervals to keep the burlap from sliding down. Or you can try creating smaller sections of garland so that the garland is more scrunched together. If you still want to keep it longer, use small pieces of wire and wrap it around the wire in the garland at regular intervals. Let me know how these suggestions work.

      Delete
  7. I'm having the same trouble with it sliding. How do you keep it in place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the above suggestions and let me know if it works for you.

      Delete
  8. I'm making this for my daughters wedding shower. I'm going to add paper flowers that I have made to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why don't you try yarn of the same color, that should help with it sliding. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Or use jute. You can use a large needle for threading it through. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Thanks for this great project... Looked at several videos before and none were A. this simple B. none gave me the bulk for a garland!! So thank you :)

    ReplyDelete